Thursday, January 14, 2010

Indiana Memorial Union of the Past

Today, in addition to processing the Dorson collection, I was asked to answer a reference question the Archive received via email.

"An alumna who says she remembers walking through the IMU and seeing, and being inspired by, a Lincoln quotation inscribed “on a mantle” by some back stairs in the Union. I wandered all around the IMU this morning looking for such an inscription and couldn't find it.

So, does this ring a bell with anyone? And who is the keeper of all such lore around here anyways?"

Carrie dispatched me to the reference file to find the answer. Unfortunately an employee at the IMU, who was also emailed this question, beat me to the answer.

“I will study and get ready and then maybe the chance will come.” –A. Lincoln: this inscription is on the fireplace mantle, on the second floor of the bookstore.

Even though I didn't find the answer, I did learn a bit about the IMU.

Back in the 1960s the IMU had a formal tea room and lounges designated for men only. Interesting, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment